Governor: Bob McDonnell (R)
Lieutenant Governor: Bill Bolling (R)
Attorney General: Ken Cuccinelli (R)
Secretary of the Commonwealth: Janet Polarek (R)
Treasurer: Manju Ganeriwala (D)
The Virginia General Assembly meets once a year, on the second Wednesday in January. The assembly lasts for 30 days (odd years) or 60 days (even years), and can be extended as necessary for up to 30 extra days. It is composed of the Virginia House of Delegates (100 members) and the Virginia State Senate (40 members).
Leaders of the Virginia General Assembly
Senate President: Bill Bolling (R)
House Speaker: William J. Howell (R)
Majority Leaders: Thomas Norment (R) (Senate), Kirk Cox (R) (House)
Minority Leaders: Dick Saslaw (D) (Senate), David Toscano (D) (House)
Our State Representatives – Scott County, VA
The Supreme Court of Virginia is one of the oldest continuous judicial bodies in the United States. Although the Virginia State Supreme Court has both original jurisdiction (the power to hear cases that have yet to be heard) and appelate jurisdiction (the power to review cases that have been heard by a lower court), its primary function is to review decisions of lower courts, including the Court of Appeals. The term for a judge is 12 years (expiration dates in parentheses). Up to five retired Justices may, at the Court’s option, serve as Senior Justices for renewable one year terms. Senior Justices typically sit regularly on writ panels and will sit on merit cases, occasionally authoring opinions, when an active Justice is recused or otherwise unable to sit.
- The Honorable Cynthia D. Kinser (Expiration of term: January 31, 2022)
- The Honorable Donald W. Lemons (Expiration of term: March 16, 2024)
- The Honorable S. Bernard Goodwyn (Expiration of term: February 8, 2020)
- The Honorable LeRoy F. Millette, Jr. (Expiration of term: January 31, 2021)
- The Honorable William C. Mims (Expiration of term: March 31, 2022)
- The Honorable Elizabeth A. McClanahan (Expiration of term: July 31, 2023)
- The Honorable Cleo E. Powell (Expiration of term: July 31, 2023)
- The Honorable Harry L. Carrico
- The Honorable Charles S. Russell
- The Honorable Elizabeth B. Lacy
- The Honorable Lawrence L. Koontz, Jr.